Beef With Broccoli is a classic when it comes to chinese cooking. It makes a perfect plate for almost all occasions.
3/4 lb (375 g) lean beef, sliced thinly into bite-sized pieces
Marinade for Beef:
- 1 egg
- 1/3 tsp (1.5 mL) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cooking wine
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch (corn flour)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) oil
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) broccoli, flowerets removed, slice on the diagonal into thin slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooking oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (30 mL) oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) light soy sauce
- 3/4 Tbsp (10 mL) dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- a few drops of sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch (if desired)
Slice beef and mix together marinade ingredients. Add marinade to beef and marinate for thirty minutes. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to beef, mix in thoroughly, and marinate beef for another thirty minutes. While beef is marinating, prepare the vegetables.
Heat wok and add 1 cup of oil. When oil is ready, add beef and stir-fry until it is nearly cooked. Remove beef and set aside on a plate. Drain the wok and wipe clean with a paper towel.
Add 1/2 cup water to wok. Bring the water to a boil and add the broccoli. Cover and cook until broccoli is cooked through. Drain the wok.
Heat wok and add oil (about 2 tablespoons). Add the garlic and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add vegetables and beef and mix together. Make a well in the middle of the wok and add the sauce ingredients. Add cornstarch, stirring to thicken. Mix sauce together with other ingredients. Serve hot. Serves 3 to 4